On March 29, 2019 the VI All-Russian Student Olympiad in propaedeutics of dental diseases “First steps in dentistry” was held in Moscow (Russian Federation) at I.M. Sechenov First Moscow State Medical University (Sechenov University).
The Department of Propedeutics of Dental Diseases of Sechenov University hosted 33 students from Russian and CIS universities. The Dental Faculty of the Belarusian State Medical University was presented by a second-year student Elizaveta Yakhimchik (group #7205).
The Head of the Department of Propaedeutics of Dental Diseases, professor A.V.Sevbitov opened the Olympiad with a welcoming speech. Then the legend of dental science, Honored Doctor of Russia, Doctor of Medical Sciences, professor M.M.Pozharitskaya congratulated all the participants and wished everyone success. Then all the participants were divided into 4 groups to perform tasks of the competitive program.
The program of the Olympiad included the following tasks:
1) Mechanical preparation of root canal using the Step-Back technique with hand tools on the Endo-Training-Bloc;
2) Root canal filling using lateral condensation filling technique on the Endo-Training-Bloc;
3) Cavity preparation (IV Black class) on the incisors of the upper jaw on the phantom;
4) Cavity restoration (IV Black class) with a light-cured composite material on the phantom;
5) Mandibular premolar restoration for metal-ceramic artificial crown on the phantom;
6) Manufacturing of temporary crown using self-hardening plastic on the phantom;
7) Removal of one stage single-layer impression using A-silicone on the phantom;
8) Suturing on chicken.
The closing ceremony of the VI All-Russian Student Olympiad began with the delivery of thanks to all teachers, and then the organizers went on to reward the participants. BSMU second-year dental student Elizaveta Yakhimchik became the winner in the nomination "Dentist-Expert".
Successful performance at the Olympiad would be impossible without the organizational support of the leadership of the Belarusian State Medical University, the academic staff of the Department of General Dentistry and Dental Association.
E.A.Yakhimchik, 2nd year student of the Dental Faculty,
A.A.Petruk, associate professor of the Department of General Dentistry,
V.V.Boika, head of the Department of International Relations.