In early November, the Belarusian State Medical University celebrates its 99th birthday.
The history of the educational institution can be traced back to 1921 when the Medical Faculty was created as a part of the Belarusian State University. And in 1925 the first class of graduates were awarded the diplomas and qualified as physicians. In 1930 the Medical Faculty of the Belarusian State University became an independent educational institution, the Belarusian Medical Institute was established.
Since the beginning of the Great Patriotic War, the institute did not function for two years from 1941 to 1943, and then the Belarusian Medical Institute resumed its work in Yaroslavl (Russia). In 1944, the Minsk Medical Institute returned home. In memory of the teachers and students of the Minsk Medical Institute who died during the Great Patriotic War, a stele was installed at the Belarusian State Medical University.
The rapid development of educational institutions took place in the sixties of the previous century. The Dental Faculty was opened in 1960. In 1964 the students were admitted to Pediatric Faculty and Sanitary-Hygienic Faculty (now Faculty of Preventive Medicine). In 1967 Medical Faculty for Foreign Students appeared within the Institute. In 1995 the Faculty of Military Medicine was opened as part of the Medical Institute. One of the youngest faculties – Pharmaceutical Faculty – was opened in November 2011.
BSMU received the status of the leading medical university of the Republic of Belarus in 2001.
For 99 years the University developed from the Faculty of Medicine of the Belarusian State University into the leading higher educational institution which prepares qualified medical and pharmaceutical specialists not only for our country, but also for foreign countries of far and near abroad.
We wish the Belarusian State Medical University further continued success and prosperity. Happy birthday, Alma mater!